Student license FEM-design [SOLVED]

@MarcoPelle
I have a problem where Grasshopper tries to connect to FEM design but can’t. I have installed FEM design, first the right way, but due to a temporary lack of licenses (in the process of being fixed), i also have installed the student version. with my valid student card.

My problem is: when i try to run any script from grasshopper, it wants to open the “real FEMdesign” but it doesn’t work due to lack of license.

Can this issue be circumvented or do i have to wait until i get a proper license?

Hi @ojhq

You can try in using FEM-Design.Connection component and set the input in such a way that connect to your FEM-Design (linked to the student license)

Let me know if it works. Otherwise, I am pretty sure that our license supporting team will be in touch pretty soon

Thanks for your respons, i have tried to do this. I might not have done it correctly but i seem to get at problem with Grasshopper trying to fetch “FEMdesign 22 3D structure”. The student version opens another window where you can click on “3D structure”.
So it doesnt quite work the same way.
thanks anyway

@MarcoPelle i have now tried again.

I have attached a screenshot of the error message i get from the FemDesign.connection component where you can see that i have tried to link to the student version of fem design. As you can see, it doesn’t work. i suspect that its because its looking for the 3D structure part of Fem design.

also i this is the original error message i get when i leave the “FEM-design dir” parameter empty in the connection component.

FEM api failure_2

@ojhq

I think we have two options:

Option 1
rename the folder “FEM-Design 22 Educational” to “FEM-Design 22” and leave the input empty

Option 2
Set the directory where FEM-Design is installed.
It looks like that FEM-Design is looking for “Educational” and not “Student”

i have resolved the issue !
it works by setting the directory to look for:

C:\Program Files\StruSoft\FEM-Design 22 Educational

Thank you for your help !

1 Like