FEM-design and Grasshopper, provide FEM design with a possible list of steel sections for autodesign. [SOLVED]

“I have a code that generates a list of cross-sections based on certain criteria. The issue is that when setting up the model, one must assign a cross-section to each column. The type of cross-section chosen will therefore restrict the column to only be able to select that type from the criteria list. Is it possible to set any cross-section as input for all columns, and then when FEM-design runs, it utilizes the given list of possible steel cross-sections to select the appropriate cross-section?”

Hi @larsToppe

Yes, it is possible :slight_smile:

The main idea is to create a custom section pool with the section that you would like to use for the optimisation.

1. Define your pool
    Make sure that the section belongs to the same “TypeName”
  2. Assign a section that belongs to a pool to your beam
  3. Autodesign will only use the sections that belongs to the pool

Have a look at the example below

OptimiseCustomPool.gh (74.5 KB)

aa now I understand why it needed to be in the same TypeName. But I get an error with KKR and VKR.

it is a known bug :frowning:

Can you deconstruct the surface and rebuild it?

Try to use Deconstruct.Brep, straighten the outer curve making sure that they are “Line” and it should work :slight_smile:

I tried to do as you said, but it still does not work. Any idea what else I can change?

I would like to upload the file here, but get the messeage that new users can not upload files?

interesting.

@larsToppe Do you mind sharing a screenshot that shows the error from Discourse?

Hi @larsToppe

Have a look at a little workaround to make your workflow working.
I hope it helps

sectionDeconstruct.gh (51.0 KB)

It worked, Thank you :slight_smile: