Import loads from Excel or text file [SOLVED]

Hello,

Once again I was referred from the local support team to Marco :slight_smile: - though maybe someone else can help?

I’m working on designing a gantry that is subjected to approximately 25 load cases, each consisting of around 15 or more point loads. According to the local support team, FEM-Design doesn’t support the direct input of loads from Excel but can modify export/import of existing loads. However, I’ve been informed that this can be “easily” done through Grasshopper.

I’m looking for an example in Grasshopper that demonstrates how to input multiple load cases, where each load case contains several point loads in the x, y, and z directions. Ideally, the example would also show how to deconstruct an existing model and input only the loads. I attached a screenshot of the gantry with the point loads but an example of any structure will do.

I tried to fallow the instructions from the link below but I got stuck. I don’t really get how I can copy and paste from excel and then manipulate the list etc.

Best regards,
Robert

1 Like

Hi Roberta! I don’t have an example, but a couple of tips. You can copy/paste Excel data into the “panel” component in Grasshopper. I would suggest using one separate panel for each Excel column to make it easier. You can also use some Grasshopper plugins. It was a while since I did this, but I used for example Bumblebee or Lunchbox for Excel import

2 Likes

Hi @roberta

Have a look at one possible solution.

I am currently using pancakespreadsheet which can be download from PackageManager in Rhino.

In my script, I am creating a new model but the same logic can be applied to AddElements to an existing model.

Let me know if you need some additional help :slight_smile:
Take your time to “study” the script as you will probably want to change the formatting of the excel file.

excel-example.zip (66.0 KB)

1 Like

Thank you both very much for the reply. I will take a good hard look at both the tips from Johanna and the example from Marco.

I will update the entry if I can’t figure it out.

Regards,
Robert

1 Like